Sunday, July 8, 2012

if i were in charge of the world.

(Apologies to Judith Viorst)
If I were in charge of the world
My favorite flip-flops would never wear out.
There would be no books of poems with the 
last page missing,
No hairy spiders to hide in the corners.


If I were in charge of the world
I would have a never-ending string of puddles 
to jump in,
And mothers would never scold their children 
for tracking mud halfway down the hall.


If I were in charge of the world
There would never be hungry but always satisfied,
Except in the classroom, where
There would be endless shelves of books to feed 
voracious minds.


I would find a way to make it easier
For everyone to understand that sometimes the same 
stars can make
multiple constellations;


And that Archimedes was right:
You can move the world if only you have a lever and 
a place to stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment